Roast Beef with a Peppercorn and Herb Crust
A simple yet impressive way to add some extra flavour to your roast beef.
PREP TIME: 10
COOK TIME: 90
- RECIPE DETAILS
- BUY THE PRODUCT(S)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 200°C Fan, Gas Mark 7.
- Grind the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle. Mix the peppercorns, mustard, oil and thyme together in a bowl. Season with the salt.
- Transfer the joint to a non-stick roasting tin, lined with foil and spread the peppercorn mix over the top. Arrange the onions around the joint and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water.
- Remove the roast from the oven, transfer the onions to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3 and pour the stock around the joint. Cover loosely with foil and roast in the oven for 45 mins for a medium/rare roast or longer if you want your beef less pink.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover and leave to rest for 20 mins. Meanwhile, reheat the onions in the oven for 5 mins and serve
Tips:Use the cooking juices to make some gravy if you want.
1kg lean beef topside joint
4 teaspoons hearty wholegrain mustard
12g mixed peppercorns - black, green and red
4 teaspoons rapeseed oil
1 sprig fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
3 small red onions, peeled and quartered
1 beef stock cube
300ml boiling water